Due to their unique properties, such as oil, water, chemical repellence and protection against dangerous liquids, perfluorinated substances like perfluorohexanoic acid (PFHxA) are used for manufacturing of some specific products. The REACH restriction aims to reduce the emissions of PFHxA and minimise the exposure to the environment as it is very persistent and has a long-range transport potential.
- 20 December 2019 – Proposal from Germany submitted to ECHA
- 25 March 2020-25 September 2020 – ECHA 6-month public consultation
- 3 June 2021 - Committee for Risk Assessment (RAC) adopts opinion
- 7 July 2021-7 September 2021 - Committee for Socio-economic Analysis (SEAC) consultation
- 8 December 2021 – SEAC adopts opinion
- Q3 2023 – Commission expected to present the proposal to REACH Committee
- Discussion and vote in the REACH committee
- In case of positive vote in the REACH Committee, the European Parliament and the Council will have 3 or 4 months to evaluate the proposal. If no objections, the Commission adopts the proposal, which will become law after a transition time.